[Click To Enlarge]
Choose any of the links below documenting the history of corruption within South Florida under the episcopate of John C. Favalora of Miami and you’ll understand the job ahead for Archbishop Thomas Wenski. By this account the new Archbishop is holy and devout, so prospects look good for South Florida Catholics. Brick by brick as they say… The article follows, here’s the video.
[Via Renew America]
1. Attorney E-mails Pope, Defends Fired Priest
2. Archdiocese of Miami Sued
3. Archbishop’s “XStream” Investment
4. Attorney: Archbishop Is Friend of Pedophile
5. Whistleblower Priest’s Lawsuit Dismissed
6. Attorney: Vatican Upset with Miami Archdiocese
7. Attorney: Pope Aware of Miami Priest’s Case
8. Attorney: Gay Priest Gave Dog Communion
9. CPA, Priest’s Attorney Spar in Miami
10. Accusations at Fever Pitch in Miami Archdiocese
11. Priest Drops Lawsuit Against Miami Archdiocese
12. Miami Priest, Deacon Guilty of Embezzlement, Extortion?
13. Attorney: Priests Claim 70 Percent of U.S. Bishops Are Gay
14. Catholics Continue to Clash in Miami archdiocese
15. Grievance Filed Against Catholic Attorney, Lay Activist, and Columnist
16. Girl, Parents Sue Miami Archdiocese
17. Wikipedia User Wrongly Cites Priest as “Accused Molester”
18. Seminary Mag’s ‘Gay’ Ads Cause Stir
19. Miami Archdiocese Sued
20. Catholic University to Give Award to Goddess-Worshipping Theologian
21. Lambs to Slaughter: Again and Again, Local Claims of Abuse Point to One Priest, the Rev. Neil Doherty, and the Catholic Archdiocese that Protected Him
22. Speak No Evil: When a Margate Priest Misbehaved, the Archdiocese Punished His Secretary
23. “Gay-Friendly” Miami Archdiocese Features Goddess-Worshipping Nun at Diocesan University
24. Miami Archdiocese Sponsors Concert by Gay Men’s Chorus
25. Monsignor Defends ‘Gay Chorus’
26. ‘The Virtuous One’
27. “The Priest, the Stripper, and Their Baby”
28. Ex-Stripper: Miami Priest Fathered My Baby
29.. Along Came a Spider: What the Pope Doesn’t See
30. New Sex Abuse Claims Against Fmr. Miami Priest
31. 2 Men File Sex Abuse Suits Against Miami Archdiocese
32. Did Archbishop Favalora of Miami Knowingly Employ a Boy-Raping Priest?
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (WSVN) — South Florida’s newest archbishop talked in depth Thursday about his faith, the future of the Catholic Church and his Harley Davidson.
Archbishop Thomas Wenski will lead 1.3 million South Florida Catholics after being ordained on June 1.
Wenski said his heart for Haiti will be a big part of his leadership. “Geography has made the US and Haiti neighbors, but we have to be more than neighbors, we have to be brothers and sisters,” Wenski said.
The archbishop said he marvels at Haitian resolve, not only rebounding from hurricanes but earthquakes as well. Wenski said showing faith can spring from tragedy.
Tragedy is not far from the mind of the archbishop. He is keenly aware of the child sex scandals that have rocked the Catholic Church. He said child molestation is an atrocity, and it is painful for both the victim and the church. “The church has addressed that, and one of the signs that it has addressed that is the safe environment programs that are in place,” he revealed. “Today, the church is the safest place for a child to be.”
Wenski was quick to point out that closing Catholic schools and parishes is not the result of the sex scandal payouts, which topped tens of millions of dollars. “The cost we have had to payout has been in great measure covered by insurance,” Wenski said.
Earlier in the week, Wenski lead a mass for South Florida lawyers and judges. Afterward, he addressed Catholic support for fighting gay marriage in the political arena.
South Florida is known for its gay population. Wenski said the church is not an enemy of gay issues, but he held firm on Catholic belief on the matter. “I don’t believe the church does show hostility to that community or to any other community.” Wenski went on to say, “Children are hardwired to be raised by a father and a mother who are married to each other in a permanent relationship.”
The archbishop also spoke about light moments while being interviewed, a quality that perhaps will help reach declining numbers of young people. Wenski even commented on “American Idol.” He said, “I don’t know if I’ve sat through sessions of ‘American Idol.’ I think I might have stopped on it for a few minutes while channel surfing, but I did not linger too long.”
The archbishop also spoke about his interest in motorcycles. “I used to have a Honda Shadow, and about a year ago I invested in a Harley Davidson street bike to take a motorcycle ride and clear the cobwebs of my mind.”
Cobwebs even in the mind of a man of God. He said, the matters of God are important in today’s complicated world.
With the newest numbers being 1.3 million Catholics, in South Florida, Wenski said, he’s going to need all the help and prayers he can get.
END OF POST