Question: Should the University of Notre Dame set an “Catholic” example for this freshman student below and rescind the invitation to pro-abort President Barack Obama to give the commencement speech at UND? Click here to sign the petition
The Pursuit of Truth
After cancellation of the “Queer Film Festival” on the campus of Notre Dame University in February, 2008 alum Brad Duffy responded to a critic of the cancellation with a levelheaded (Catholic perspective) letter to the editor entitled, ‘A Catholic University’. His most poignant and clear point was to state what should be obvious to all concerning Catholic universities:
“Notre Dame’s mission as a Catholic university is to guide its students in pursuit of the truth. How, then, could Notre Dame possibly reconcile support for such activities the Church deems, categorically, inimical to truth?”
If I may Brad, please allow me to rephrase (in part) your statement in light of the announcement that President Barack Obama will be the commencement speaker at UND on Sunday, May 17, 2009:
If the mission of the University of Nortre Dame, as a Catholic university, is to guide students into the pursuit of truth, how, then, can Nortre Dame reconcile inviting the one person in all of America who is currently, and unarguably, the most inimical toward the Truth–and the Church He founded?
Forget the politics, the most powerful man on the planet is in attack mode on human life, and even, religious freedom itself, and a Catholic university is rewarding such behavior?
Let the daily headlines and following Catholic responses clarify the situation for all those without eyes to see, and ears to hear, and you tell me if President Barack Obama should be allowed to give this commencement speech at Nortre Dame University…
Funding Restored to Groups That Perform Abortions, Other Care
-Monsignor Rino Fisichella who heads the Vatican’s Pontifical Academy for Life: “What is important is to know how to listen… without locking oneself into ideological visions with the arrogance of a person who, having the power, thinks they can decide on life and death.”
White House set to reverse health care conscience clause
-Cardinal George: “As Catholic bishops and American citizens, we are deeply concerned that such an action on the government’s part would be the first step in moving our country from democracy to despotism. Respect for personal conscience and freedom of religion as such ensures our basic freedom from government oppression. No government should come between an individual person and God-that’s what America is supposed to be about. This is the true common ground for us as Americans. We therefore need legal protection for freedom of conscience and of religion-including freedom for religious health care institutions to be true to themselves.”
Administration to Support U.N. Declaration Decriminalizing Homosexuality
–St. Louis Catholic: “Please [also] note that the Highest Good and the Primal Love is God–not the U.N. Charter.”
Obama To Loosen Stem Cell Funding
– Cardinal Justin Rigali, Chairman, U.S. Bishops’ Pro Life Committee: “President Obama’s new executive order on embryonic stem cell research is a sad victory of politics over science and ethics. This action is morally wrong because it encourages the destruction of innocent human life, treating vulnerable human beings as mere products to be harvested. It also disregards the values of millions of American taxpayers who oppose research that requires taking human life. Finally, it ignores the fact that ethically sound means for advancing stem cell science and medical treatments are readily available and in need of increased support … If the government wants to invest in hope for cures and promote ethically sound science, it should use our tax monies for research that everyone, at every stage of human development, can live with.”
– Cardinal Justin Rigali, Chairman, U.S. Bishops’ Pro Life Committee:
How To Stop This Scandal…
As my H/T [Threshing Floor] informed me, this is all past disgusting now. And here are some other points to ponder before you act:
- This invite must have been in the works for quite sometime.
- Along with his degree, will President Barack Obama receive a stipend as well? See: Background Presidential Commencement addresses at Notre Dame: “Barack Obama will be the ninth U.S. president to be awarded an honorary degree by the University of Notre Dame and the sixth to be the Commencement speaker.”
- Notice White House manipulation of the news cycle in releasing the announcement on a Friday in conjunction with Spring break on college campuses.
Notre Dame, the faith is under attack. Please act accordingly…
Here’s Who To Contact:
Fort Wayne Chancery
1103 S. Calhoun Street
Fort Wayne, IN 46801
South Bend Chancery
114 W. Wayne Street
South Bend, IN 46601